Freehand Sketching for Architects - Virtual Sessions
Date(s): July 10, 2020 - July 17, 2020
Time: 3:00 PM CST - 4:30 PM CST
Attendees will learn how to rapidly document buildings in your own graphic vocabulary.
This two-session course will stress a formulaic approach to developing exceptional compositions using thumbnail studies and basic, non-technical perspective. Sketching will focus on interesting outdoor locations on the Chicago River. The class will encourage loose and rapid sketching in lieu of technical drawing. With practical instruction and coaching from the course instructor, participants will learn different freehand sketching techniques virtually: thumbnail sketches, contrast/value, perspective, and contour.
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm Friday, 7/10/2020 (90 minutes)
3:00 pm Introduction
- Instructor background and professional use of sketching as a design tool
- Discuss expressing emotions in drawing
- Overview of Session 1
- Review sketching resources and thumbnail drawing techniques.
- DEMONSTRATION: Thumbnail studies
- EXERCISE 1: Thumbnail sketch series + participants’ sketch review
- DEMONSTRATION: Transferring thumbnail to full sketch
- DEMONSTRATION: Three values, dark/medium/light
- EXERCISE 2: Sketch with high values/contrast + participants’ sketch review
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm Friday, 7/172020 (90 minutes)
3:00 pm Introduction
- Review Session 1 drawing techniques
- Overview of Session 2
- Demonstration: Heavy/light lines, shimmering, depth
- EXERCISE 2: Sketch with contour + participants’ sketch review
- DEMONSTRATION: Point of view, high & low
- DEMONSTRATION: One & two point perspectives
- EXERCISE 3: Sketch perspectives + participants’ sketch review
4:30 pm Closing Comments
- One black Sharpie (optional)
- Other black markers (optional)
- 3b/hb/3h wood pencils
- NO ERASERS
- Color pencils
- Sketch book and/or bond paper
- Phone with camera to capture your sketch and send to the instructor
a video link, and a link to print out material for exercises on bond paper.
The session will be recorded and transliterated. Attendees agree that the recording might be used for promotions and social media.
- Learn or improve on the following freehand sketching skills and techniques: composition, and value and contrast.
- Improve ability to document and remember the existing built environment.
- Improve your ability to use freehand sketching as an architectural design tool.
- Learn how to draw faster and with more confidence.
Cost covers both sessions: July 10th and July 17th
Earn: 3.0 LUs for ALA and AIA
OUR INSTRUCTOR: JOEL BERMAN, ALA, LEED AP, NCARB
Joel Berman is the founder and president of Joel Berman Architecture & Design, Ltd., a Chicago architectural firm specializing in inner city adaptive reuse and heritage restoration. For Joel, clear and fast sketching has been a factor in the success of his design work and architectural practice.
Joel has taught architectural sketching at the Art Institute of Chicago, Columbia College School of Interior Architecture and the Chicago Architectural Foundation. Bermanarchitecture.com Bermansketching.com