Start Date: 1/16/2020 8:30 AM CST
End Date: 1/16/2020 12:00 PM CST
Venue Name: Pella Showroom Location:
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL United States 60654
Association of Licensed Architects
Phone: (847) 382-0630
This seminar focuses on the minimum requirements for new or existing construction of accessible facilities for compliance with the 2018 International Building Code (IBC) and ICC A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities.
Our presenter, Kim Paarlberg, Senior Staff Architect of the ICC, will address the design, plan review and inspection of buildings to ensure that people with physical impairments, visual impairments and hearing impairments can use the facilities. Kim will include information on the coordination and differences with the Illinois Accessibility Code (IAC) and Chicago amendments to the Chicago Building Code. Attendees will participate in activities that involve questions and answers, discussion and case study, performing parts individually and in groups
Participants will be better able to:
1. Recognize which accessibility requirements are enforceable by the building official.
2. Determine the extent to which accessibility code provisions apply to the design and construction of any commercial facility.
3. Identify the basis for the technical requirements set forth in the referenced standard.
4. Identify scoping and technical requirements for:
- Exterior accessible routes (accessible routes criteria, accessible parking spaces, curb ramps and signage);
- Accessible entry and means of egress (entrances, means of egress, areas of refuge, exterior area for assisted rescue);
- Interior accessible routes (accessible route criteria, elevators, lifts, ramps and doors);
- Building features and facilities (toilet and bathing facilities, drinking fountains and customer service facilities);
5. A review of special occupancies (assembly, self-service storage, judicial facilities, recreational)
Dwelling and sleeping units (transient lodging and institutional units);
Existing structure requirements in the 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC).
Approved by ALA and AIA credit for 3.0 CEUs in HSW.
$55 Members / $75 Non-members includes continental breakfast.
Our Presenter - Kim Paarlberg,
Senior Staff Architect of the ICC
This program will also be offered in Schaumburg on Friday, January 17th. Click here to register for Schaumburg.