Start Date: 10/25/2018 9:45 AM CDT
End Date: 10/25/2018 3:00 PM CDT
Venue Name: Wingspread Location:
33 East Four Mile Road
Racine, WI United States 53402
Association of Licensed Architects
ALA Prairie-Style Duo Tour Thursday, October 25th
Visit Frank Lloyd Wright Designed Wingspread and SC Johnson Campus Buildings in Racine, WI
9:45 AM – 11:45 AM Tour + Free time at Wingspread **
33 E Four Mile Rd, Racine, WI 53402
We will meet at Wingspread, the home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for H.F. Johnson, Jr. and his family, at 9:45 AM. The tour will begin promptly at 10:00 AM.
Completed in 1939, the home was named Wingspread, reflecting its four wings that spread out from a central core living space. Remarkable design features include its 30-ft.-chimney and many windows that lift it toward the sky, its teepee-inspired clerestory ceiling, five fireplaces, the cantilevered “Romeo and Juliet” Balcony and a glass enclosed “crow’s nest” look out. After a brief tour you will have time to walk throughout the property. Wingspread is on the National Register of Historic Places.
** Please be advised that Wingspread operates as a Conference center and is subject to cancelation. Should this situation arise, we will make you aware of the change.
Please note: Photography is permitted inside and out.
Noon – 1:00 PM – Lunch at Brickhouse in Racine
316 Main St. Racine, WI
Racine, WI 53403
There is metered street parking (bring quarters) and garage parking is available at 300 Lake Ave. The entrance to the garage is on 3rd Ave. The exit is on Lake. To enter the parking garage you will make a left on 3rd Ave. from Main St. The cost for parking is $2.00. You will pay upon exit with a credit card or cash (the payment system only accepts 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills).
Drive to the SC Johnson Campus and meet at The Golden Rondelle Theater at 1525 Howe Street, Racine, WI 53403 (intersection of 14th Street and Franklin Street) where we will meet our guides. Parking is adjacent to the Golden Rondelle Theater.
1:15 PM – 3:00 PM Tour the SC Johnson Campus **
Arrive at the SCJ Campus at 1:15 PM. We will start our tour promptly at 1:30 PM. Explore the Prairie Style architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright on the SC Johnson Racine campus. We will visit the Administration Building and Research Tower and the Foster + Partners-designed Fortaleza Hall (LEED) Gold. The remarkable Administration Building opened in 1939, followed by the Research Tower in 1950. The Administration Building and Research Tower are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Please note: The Research Tower is not handicapped accessible and visitors are required to climb up and down 45 steps in a tight spiral staircase.
Exterior photography only is permitted.
1. Analyze the interaction of SCJ campus buildings as well the 30 acres of prairie, woods and ravines that surround the Wingspread home to embody the prairie style.
2. Discover the 14,000 sq. ft. footprint of Wingspread, the largest of Wright’s Prairie homes, and its use of Kasota limestone, brick, stucco and unstained wood which helped anchor the house to the earth.
3. Discuss the workspace design of the Administration Building and executive suites configuration; including furnishings designed by Wright.
4. Discover how the architecture of the SCJ Research Tower, built on the cantilever principle, inspired the scientists’ creativity and cutting edge advancements as well as sustainable aspects of this historic restoration.
5. Review the exterior and interior updates of the Research Tower which included replacement of over 22,000 bricks and 7,000 Pyrex glass tubes used to construct the numerous windows.
Approved by ALA and AIA for 3.0 LU in HSW.
Cost: Members and Guests $55, Non-members $75 includes lunch. Please choose your lunch selection at checkout.