Start Date: 6/12/2020 9:30 AM CDT
End Date: 6/12/2020 1:30 PM CDT
Venue Name: 444 W. Lake Location:
Chicago, IL United States 60606
Association of Licensed Architects
Phone: (847) 382-0630
Attendees will learn how to rapidly document buildings in their own graphic vocabulary. The course will stress a formulaic approach to developing exceptional compositions using thumbnail studies and basic, non-technical perspective. The class will encourage loose and rapid sketching in lieu of technical drawing. With practical instruction and coaching from the course instructor, participants will learn different freehand sketching techniques at different locations: thumbnail sketches, contrast/value, perspective, and fast drawing.
Sketching will focus on interesting outdoor and/or indoor locations on or near the Chicago Riverwalk. Sketching will be outdoors if weather permits. Come prepared to do some walking, whether we are outdoors, indoors or a combination.
LOCATION 1: RIVERFRONT PARK, 444 W. LAKE
(RAIN LOCATION: The Apple Store, 401 N. Michigan Ave.)
9:50 Thumbnail Composition Development
- Discuss expressing emotions in drawing
- Review general plan for the day
- EXERCISE 1: Upside down sketch exercise
- Review sketching resources and slide composition tool.
LOCATION 2: BOARDWALK - BETWEEN LAKE & ORLEANS
Value and Contrast
- DEMONSTRATION: Thumbnail studies with slide jacket
- EXERCISE 2: Thumbnail sketch series + group review
- DEMONSTRATION: Transfering thumbnail to full sketch
- Walk to location 2.
10:55 Bathroom/Coffee Break
- DEMONSTRATION: Three values, dark/medium/light
- EXERCISE 3: Sketch with high values/contrast + group review
LOCATION 3: RIVER THEATER - BETWEEN LASALLE & CLARK
12:00 Speed Sketching
- DEMONSTRATION: Point of view, high & low
- DEMONSTRATION: One & two point perspectives
- EXERCISE 4: Sketch perspectives + group review
- Walk to Location 3.
12:25 Closing Comments
- EXERCISE 5: Speed Sketching + group review
12:30 - Walk to Lunch at Artisan Electronics Group at the Merchandise Mart
- Learn or improve on the following freehand sketching skills and techniques: composition, and value and contrast.
- Improve ability to document and remember the existing built environment.
- Improve your ability to use freehand sketching as an architectural design tool.
- Learn how to draw faster and with more confidence.
$ Members / $ Non-Members includes lunch
3.0 LUs for ALA and AIA