Start Date: 8/22/2018 4:00 PM CDT
End Date: 8/22/2018 5:30 PM CDT
Venue Name: Chicago Line Cruises Location:
465 N. McClurg Ct.
Chicago, IL United States 60611
Association of Licensed Architects
Cruise with ALA for an Architectural Tour on the Chicago River. Our special docent, Terry Sullivan, will describe how architectural visionaries were able to lift Chicago from ashes to new heights. From the unique vantage point of the river, we will learn about the newest skyscrapers garnering international attention and how the riverwalk is changing the face of Chicago.
1. Explore how Chicago’s geographic location was the perfect spot for Chicago to go from swampy marsh to the birthplace of the modern skyscraper
2. Learn about how the Chicago Fire and inventions for the steel skyscraper, electric light, fireproofing, and the elevator all tied together to spur Chicago’s technological advancement.
3. See the famous Chicago style bridges, a City that has the most moveable bridges.
4. View buildings under construction on the river and ascertain the future impact of these mixed use developments
5. Explore how the last 5 years have seen a complete transformation on the River walk and how it is changing people’s transportation means as well as work and social lives.
Our Docent: Terry Sullivan, AIA, LEED AP has been a Chicago practicing architect, tour guide, and lecturer on bridges for over 20 years. Along with his love of Chicago buildings, Terry has a passion for Chicago bridges. He has worked on several of Chicago’s historic and modern bridges. His fascination with the bridges extends to the bridge houses, which he views as the architectural jewels of Chicago and a living timeline of the city’s architectural styles. Terry practices architecture as a principal at Johnson, Lasky, Kindelin Architects in Chicago.
Cost: $50 Members and their guests / $60 Non-Members. Complimentary Starbucks coffee, tea, sodas, lemonade and cookies are served. Drinks are available for purchase with a credit card.
For those interested, we can walk over to Pinstripes after the cruise for appetizers and social. Cash bar.
Approved by ALA and AIA for 1.5 LU/HSW.
Questions? Call the ALA office at 847-382-0630