Start Date: 1/17/2018 11:30 AM CST
End Date: 1/17/2018 1:00 PM CST
Venue Name: ALA Office Location:
One East Northwest Hwy
Palatine, IL United States 60067
Association of Licensed Architects
This seminar covers the aspects of restoration, conservation and preservation of America’s stained glass heritage. We will discuss recent advances in external glazing framing systems designed for the preservation of stained glass windows based on the National Preservation Center’s Protective Glazing Study for stained glass windows. Correct documentation methods for stained glass restoration; safety and environmental exposures and recycling practices for lead in stained glass windows will also be reviewed. Updates are included on new hurricane codes and approved glazing systems designed for preserving coastal stained glass windows.
1. Define Restoration vs Repair and Maintenance
2. Learn Why Stained Glass Windows fail
3. What Comprises Stained Glass Restoration and Techniques
4. How to Properly Design Protective Covering Systems
5. How To Document The Restoration Process
6. Safety and Environmental Exposures and Practices for Leaded Stained Glass Restoration
Presenter: Leigh Carter has been with Bovard Studio as a Client Consultant since 1991 diagnosing the condition of stained glass and its environment and determining proper maintenance or restoration requirements. Also Leigh consults on new construction both for window frames, lightboxes, new stained glass and mosaic art.
Cost: $20 Members / $30 Non-Members includes lunch
Approved by ALA and AIA for 1.0 LU / HSW